Adelaide Sri Lanka Buddhist Vihara’s Organ and Tissue Donation Project
The Adelaide Sri Lanka Buddhist Vihara culturally and linguistically diverse (CALD) community engagement project is raising awareness of organ and tissue donation. This project is sponsored by the Organ and Tissue Authority through a Community Awareness Grant.
This landmark project aims to establish awareness, encouragement and the engagement of organ and tissue donation among the Sri Lankan community in South Australia. In line with the Buddhist teachings, the Adelaide Sri Lanka Buddhist Vihara has already commenced campaigning to improve awareness and engagement of the Adelaide Sri Lankan community, through a number of activities.
- Awareness sessions are being conducted on organ and tissue donation through the monthly Sil During these sessions, members get the opportunity to discuss issues, learn the facts and share their viewpoints with each other.
- The community will have the opportunity to enjoy a humorous short drama about organ and tissue donation which will be staged at the Sinhala and Tamil New Year Celebration on 12th April 2015.
- A short film on organ and tissue donation is to be screened at the annual Vesak Festival on 3rd May 2015.
Organ and tissue donation, while not being a new concept for the Sri Lankan Buddhist community, requires more donors to cater the demand for organs and tissues. We encourage every family to discover the facts about organ and tissue donation and make and register your donation decision on the Australian Organ Donor Register.
- Most importantly we encourage you to discuss and know each other’s donation decisions.
- This is because in Australia the family will always be asked to confirm the donation decision of the deceased before donation for transplantation can proceed.
For more information on organ and tissue donation, please visit www.donatelife.gov.au
If you wish to become an organ and tissue donor, copies of the Australian Organ Donor Register form are available from the Adelaide Sri Lanka Buddhist Vihara (email: firstname.lastname@example.org Tel: (08) 81650326). Registration forms will also be available at the DonateLife desk at the New Year Celebration event and at the Vesak Festival. You will also have the opportunity to chat with DonateLife staff and find out more about organ and tissue donation. Be sure to come along and ask any questions!
Project team: Ven U Semedha Thero, Dr Rasika Jayasekara (Project Leader), Dr Lalith Gamage, Dr Chandani Pandithratne, Mr Chandra Herath
|DISCOVER: the facts about organ and tissue donation
|DECIDE: about becoming am organ and tissue donor
|DISCUSS: your decision with the people close to you||REGISTER: on the Australian Organ Donor Register|